Getting Help With Debt

If you’re in debt, you need to take action quickly to stop the situation getting any worse.

Try not to let your debt problems get crisis point.

Seek help and advice early.


How to sort out your debts


If you have a problem with debt, it’s important not to panic – but don’t ignore it either.

To deal with a debt problem, you will need to:

  • sort out how much money you owe
  • work out which are the most urgent debts for you to pay off
  • work out if you’ve got any money to pay your debts off and, if so, how much
  • deal with the most urgent debts as a matter of priority
  • look at your options for dealing with the less urgent debts and work out how to pay them off
  • contact your creditors and make arrangements to pay back what you owe
  • work out your options if you don’t have enough money to pay off all your debts.


High Priority Debts

Some debts are more important than others.

Priority debts are ones where serious action can be taken against a person if the debt is not paid.

Priority Debts are debts with:

  • Rent
  • Council Tax
  • Child Maintenance
  • Magistrates Court Fines
  • Tax, VAT or National Insurance
  • County Court judgment
  • TV licence
  • Gas or electricity
  • Water
  • Hire purchase or logbook loan
  • Telephone

If you don’t act quickly, some creditors could:

  • take away your home (called ‘repossession’ or ‘eviction’);
  • cut off your gas or electricity (disconnection);
  • send the bailiffs to take belongings from your home; or
  • ask the magistrates’ court to send you to prison.


Low Priority Debts


Low/non priority debts can only be enforced via the County Court.

Creditors will issue a default notice first.  At this point interest is usually frozen.

Debts are then usually passed to collection departments or a separate debt collection agency.


Possible Options for Dealing with Low Priority Debts


  • No disposable income
    • Nominal offers
    • Debt Relief Order
    • Bankruptcy


  • Disposable income under £50 a month
    • Debt Management Plan (pro-rata offers)
    • Debt Relief Order
    • Bankruptcy


  • Disposable income over £50 a month
    • Debt Management Plan (pro-rata offers)
    • Individual Voluntary Arrangement
    • Bankruptcy


The Money Advice Service is an excellent source of information.

Visit their website by clicking on their logo

They provide Free and impartial money advice, set up by government

  • Advice and guides to help improve your finances
  • Tools and calculators to help keep track and plan ahead
  • Support over the phone and online


In England and Wales, if you are self-employed you can get help from Business Debtline at


We have a number of cases where we have been able to lend a hand. Here’s a case CLICK HERE which we are still dealing with but, we think it demonstrates the importance of not ignoring problems and dealing with those problems as they arise or getting help if you can’t cope.


Here to help – just ask.


Both Radcliffe on Trent Advice Centre and Bingham Advice Service can provide additional help and support and help you complete forms.

Contact us here